Monday, February 28, 2011

Flu inspired: Lemon Veggie Soup

We are all sick. I think it is the flu, but we are all experiencing different symptoms: Sore throat, headache, achy legs and back, runny nose, tired, grumpy, throw in some vomit and we have a stay at home date for several days. I am glad that we are all sick at the same time, but it is quite an adventure. I really wanted a yummy Lemon veggie soup that they make at the Makawao Garden Cafe, but she did not have any today, so I thought, I guess I will have to make it myself.

After consulting several online recipe's, I came up with a plan, making it with what I had on hand. It turned out so yummy I am blogging the recipe, so I won't forget it.

Saute 1 onion, 3 cloves of garlic and 2 inches of ginger (crushed) in 2 T olive oil and 2 T butter.
Add 2 1/2 T of Better that Bouillon Chicken Stock and one quart of water.
Add 1/2 C wheat berries and simmer for 1 hour or until berries are tender.
Chop whatever veggies you have, I had celery, carrots and broccoli.
When wheat berries are done add additional water and veggies just until done not too long.
Salt to taste and add the juice of one lemon. Feels so good on a sore throat and gentle on the tummy!

I would have taken a picture, but what is the point, you can't taste a picture, or smell a picture...so when we are not all sick, come over and I will make a fresh pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment