Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dirt, Sunset, and Vitamins

No Messages on the answering maching tonight, because all my buddies were out in the dirt with me! Brooke- great suprise visit!!! Had a fun evening of dirt, quads, and dinner and dirt and dirty kids and dirt and the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. I was looking down at it as it set behind Lanai, with clouds flirting on the top of the island and all the ocean around it and the south and west shores of Maui before me. Definetly one to remember and share.

I have been out of training with back/shoulder muscle spasms last week...very lame, but it made me take a closer look at how I am treating myself and can I do better? I need to do better. So with a little help from Mona at alive and well here is what I learned:

I have learned some good nutritional running tips for training, especially training while nursing: Eat 1/2 your weight in protein every day! Veggies and good fat: olive oil, avocado, nuts.
Cover your basics with a good multi vitamin, add extra calcium, magnesium, potassium. Cardic Q10 is super for muscles and heart, L-carnitine, L-glutamine and Ribose are great recovery tools. I have to admit to getting large pill boxes and setting up each days worth of nutritional supplements...geeky, but a time saver and good reminder to take them. If monday's box is empty then I didn't forget!

AM before a run: Water with emergen-C
1 1/2 teas. Ribose
1 heaping teas. L-Glutamine
(I also add 2 T Dr. Shultz superfood)

After run: Blend a Protein Shake
2 scoops whey protein
Unsweetened Almond milk
banana or berries
1 T almond butter
Ice

(The shake is good to split for a am and pm snack.)

I try to pop the pills with food in my stomach, that way I don't feel yucky. Okay, now if I could just stop eating Haupia ice cream!

5 comments:

  1. I think the last time I was on a quad/dirt driving machine, was my 1st official date the day after my 16th b-day with Matt Holdsworth. I am getting ready to train for a 1/2 marathon in October... I'm not as dedicated to nutrition as you are. I've found a few pounds over the last 8 mos. Maybe if we lived closer? Wish we did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, surprised to find a post, but it was a great one. That was a nice eve. Glad you are figuring out your nutrition routine and taking care. Let me know if I can help you in your last days of training on Maui cuz... mom would go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMY!!! Its Shannah Kuhns (now York) I stumbled upon your blog while blog surfing from Michael and Jennifers blog. What a small world the web can be! Sounds like life is going so well! I don't blog, but I'd love to chat, my email is smy32175@msn.com
    is mwells Mary Ann? You can send her my email too, i'd love to hear from both of you!

    Shannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that night! It brought back some great memories. I love my Maui friends! Fun doing the triathlon with you too! You Rocked!!!! We need some details posted ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy & Shannah
    It was good to hear from both of you! Amy thanks for the info, and Shannah I sent you an e-mail. My blog is:
    wells-holdingmybreath.blogspot.com
    I look forward to keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete